Wednesday, March 22, 2006

First rehearsal

Last night we had a rehearsal at my place with the proposed recording band for the EP: Nick on guitar, Stu on bass. I also invited guitarist Andy along as well, even though he is not free for the EP: he knows the material and could offer advice on it, as well as help me with some of the more irregular chords.

Chris also attended, as he is my extra pair of "ears" - and his ears are good. He hears a lot of things I don't (and a lot I do) and we work really well together. He ran through a few (really good) ideas for his backing vocals last night, especially on Find the Light. It's going to be great to have his voice on the tracks as well as his creative contributions.

Rajeev came along as the 'documentarian'. He filmed the rehearsal and will film the recording day - it'll be fantastic to have that record of it. Eventually I will have a DVD as a keepsake, but I have no deadline on this as I know he is going crazy at the moment finishing other projects.

I think it went well. They're getting to know the music now and moving towards a better product. Once I have the date confirmed I can start getting excited. It's all coming up soon. Next rehearsal is March 28th.

Oh! and for those of you who are wondering, 'EP' stands for "extra play" or "extended play" - the original name for a 7-inch single record with more than two songs. :)

"EP is the name given to vinyl records which are too long to qualify as singles but too short to qualify as albums. Typically an album has eight or more tracks (anywhere between 40-60 minutes), a single only one or two (5-15 minutes), and an EP five to eight (or around 15-35 minutes.) Some artists, especially in the days of vinyl, have released full-length albums that could fit the definition of a modern-day EP."
(wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ep)


xx
--K

No comments: